Making Your DNS Server Point to Ours
If you already own a domain name, and you want us to host your site, you'll need to point your domain to use our nameservers.
The configuration varies from one domain registrar to another, but in general the process goes like this:
- Log into your domain registrar.
- Click on "DNS Settings".
- For "Nameserver 1" enter "ns1.webfaction.com".
- For "Nameserver 2" enter "ns2.webfaction.com".
- If your registrar has an option for "Nameserver 3", enter "ns3.webfaction.com".
- If your registrar has an option for "Nameserver 4", enter "ns.webfaction.com".
- Click "Save" (or whatever your registrar has for an equivalent).
An example is below:
If you have problems with this, contact your registrar for help.
Once you have made these changes, you have to wait for the DNS records to spread across the internet. (This is called "DNS propagation".) It can take 24 to 48 hours for the changes to propagate over the entire planet. However, if your domain registrar is close to our servers, DNS may propagate in considerably less time.